Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Walmart-like Sugar Cookies

Here's a recipe from a new contributor, Julie M!  Welcome, Julie!  I'm excited about this recipe for sure! I just can't resist those soft buttery sugar cookies at Walmart. :) This recipe makes an estimated 5 1/2 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies.  So beware. :)




Cookies:
2 c. butter, softened (or 500 grams)
2 1/2 c. 
sugar
2 eggs
2 c. sour cream  (or fresh cream, heavy cream)
1 T. vanilla extract
1 t. almond extract
6 c.  flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Preheat oven to 215C. Cream butter and 
sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and almond extract. Beat very well till mixture is light and fluffy. 

Mix all dry ingredients together in separate bowl.  Slowly blend dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Only mix until blended, do not over blend.  You can either refrigerate overnight and then roll out and cut. Or, you can just drop by cookie scoop onto cookie sheet. 

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8-9 minutes until just barely tan around the edges. 

Julie says, "I rolled out the 
cookies w/o refrigerating and it worked out fine. If you want a sturdier cookie, then add a bit more flour. The trick is to not over-bake them. In my oven it only took about 4 minutes to bake. :) The second time I made these cookies, I did refrigerate them first for an hour or so before rolling out, and I thought it made the outside of the cookies more like the bakery sugar cookies. :)  Also, I think that the almond extract in both the cookie dough and the frosting is the key to making them taste like the bakery ones.  I also used butter paper  (same as parchment paper) on my cookie trays while baking and I think it helped them bake more evenly. Oh, one more thing, so the bakery sugar cookies are pretty thick, so I rolled them out to about 1/3- 1/2 inch thick."

Frosting: 
about 1/2 c. shortening  (or vanaspati or butter)
500 g icing sugar
about 1/4 cup fresh cream
1 t. vanilla flavoring
1 t. almond flavoring

Cream shortening and 1/2 of sugar together, add in rest of sugar, cream and flavorings. Cream till light and fluffy. Add food coloring if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...