Monday, May 9, 2011

Frozen Mango Dessert

I can't wait to try this!  It's from a friend living in Eastern Europe.  Her husband grew up in Africa and his mother used to make this for him. She says:


We can't get graham crackers so I just bought some British style butter cookies (they are called Petit Buerre here), crushed them in a food processor, and sauteed them with enough butter to bind into a thin crust that I could press in the bottom of the pan. It turned out pretty good.


Frozen Mango Dessert


2 mangoes (for an 8 inch baking dish) or 3 mangoes (for a 9x13 dish)
3/4 cup sugar (1 cup if you use 3 mangoes)
1 egg white
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup chilled whipping cream

Cut the mangoes up and process them in a blender or a food processor. Add the sugar, egg white and lemon juice, and blend for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. In a chilled bowl, beat cream until stiff: fold mango mixture into cream. Pour into a baking dish. Cover and freeze until firm.

My container of whipping cream had about twice as much as I needed, so I just added a layer of plain whipped cream on top. My kids are crazy about whipped cream. The whole family really liked it.

Enjoy!



Megan's Notes: I made this yesterday, and it is really tasty! I used the pie crust recipe on the cheesecake recipe, only all hobnobs, no gingernut cookies.  One thing to be aware of is that in my freezer at least, it was not frozen after six hours! I made it in the afternoon and had it in the freezer by 2:30.  At 8:30 when we pulled it out to eat it, it was still very jello-ish and not frozen at all.  This morning, it was frozen stiff and was perfect for cutting into.  So plan far enough ahead! : )

2 comments:

  1. Bookmarking this for when the mangoes flood the market! They're just about beginning to show up but haven't got the depth in taste yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deeba! What an honor to have you comment on my blog! :) The mangoes down here have been quite good for about a week. We're getting the Bombay-walle which have been a nice deep orange and very tart and sweet. I LOVE mango season!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...