Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Marriot Meusli

A few months ago, a new Marriot hotel opened in our city.  They have a buffet breakfast that is a great price, especially considering kids eat free.  We tried it out a few weeks back, and of all the amazing food they had, one of my favorites was their homemade meusli.  I've thought off and on about attempting to make granola or meusli, but I didn't really know how I would like it until I had the meusli at the Marriot. I studied and took note of what was in it, and came home and re-created it today.  This is the best meusli I've ever had!  I could eat it every day. : )



Marriot Meusli
2 c. Oats
2 c. Cornflakes
1 c. Dessicated Coconut
1 c. Chopped Pistachios
¼ t. Salt 
½ c. Coconut Oil
¼ c. Maple Syrup
¼ c. Honey
½-1 t. Cinnamon
½ t. Vanilla Extract
1 c. Golden Raisins



Combine oats, cornflakes, coconut, pistachios, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil (or butter), syrup, honey, and vanilla.  Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until it's all evenly coated.  Bake in a 300/145 oven on a lined/greased baking sheet for 20-30 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.  After completely cooled, stir in raisins.  YUM! This makes about five cups.  I think I'll double it from now on. : )


Note: After eating a big bowl of this with milk, I think next time, I will not add the dessicated coconut until after it's baked.  It had a strange after taste, which I think was from the cooked/baked coconut.  


 If there's an element in here you don't care for, you can easily swap it out.  Like almonds for pistachios, or nutmeg for cinnamon.  Also, I used just regular oats, (I think the quick cooking kind) because to my knowledge, you can't easily find rolled oats here.  It worked fine.  You can also substitute butter for the coconut oil, but I would do coconut oil if at all possible. : )  If you do butter, melt it on the stove top first, then stir in the honey, syrup and vanilla.  It's easy to make this your own!

1 comment:

  1. Yummers! We love it. Going to make another batch today. :) My kids aren't fans but fine with me, they can eat their chocos and we'll eat the good stuff! So....where do you find coconut oil? Am I missing something? I've asked lots of little helpers and, well, have found no help. But, not a worry, we're more of less is more for the coconut so will probably put about half the amount of coconut in it this time anyhow. Love the pistachios in it! And I had a bag of Craisins that I found and they were perfect! Now I'll be ever searching for more of them so I can have them in this. Oh, and I added the coconut after baking and no funny taste at all. I'd like to have another variation that has a different taste just for variety...I may try the recipe I grew up with and see if it is different enough. Great job Megan!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...