Sunday, August 29, 2010

I'm back... and Rachel's Chicken Pot Pie

Our family has made it back to South Asia! We spent this summer in the states catching up with family and friends and taking it easy. It was a great break and time to refresh our family, marriage, and spiritual health. We are thankful for it, and ready to get back into the swing of life here. I apologize that I did not post a single help or recipe while we were away. I barely did any cooking in the states, people hosted us so often or our families took us out to eat! I'm so ready to get back in the kitchen and share with you what's happening there!

We'll start with a couple of recipes submitted by others while I was away...

From RachelR:

So I pulled out my mother-in-law's recipe for chicken pot pie the other day. Hers calls for a Bisquick topping. I've made the recipe before with a pie crust topping, but I was feeling adventurous. I searched the internet and found an easy recipe for Bisquick. I also made cream of chicken soup from scratch. If you do these two things ahead of time, this recipe is really pretty easy and fast to make.

Bisquick Recipe:
5 c. flour
1/4 c. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter

Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter til mixture is crumbly.

Store in airtight container up to 6 weeks or in freezer for longer storage.

Cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 c. water
1 chicken buillon cube
few tsp. chopped onion
clove of garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
a little lemon pepper
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. flour
Boil water, buillon, 1/2 c. milk and onions and garlic for a minute. Add spices and boil another minute.
Whisk together 1 c. milk and flour. Add to liquid mixture and boil, whisking continually til mixture thickens.
(This makes 3 cups, and you'll just need 1 1/2 cups for this recipe, so freeze the remainder.)

Chicken Pot Pie
Put a whole chicken and cut up carrots and potatoes into pressure cooker and cook about 15 minutes. Debone chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Save broth.
Place pulled chicken in bottom of 9 x 13 pan
Mix following and pour over chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup (1/2 of the mixture from above)
1 ½ c. broth
¼ c. butter, melted
Carrots, potatoes, and other veggies (I used frozen peas and corn)
Salt and pepper
Mix following and pour over top.
1 ½ cups milk
1 ½ cups bisquick
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or til top is done.
Great with cornbread and fried okra

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...