Sunday, August 29, 2010

Jambalaya

This is a great easy dish that will feed a crowd if doubled! I like to serve this with Cheddar Bay Biscuits or cornbread.

Jambalaya

¾ c. chopped onion

½ c. chopped celery (I always just do 3/4 c. green pepper and no celery)

¼ c. chopped green pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 T. butter

2 c. cubed cooked chicken

8 oz. kielbasa sausage (yeah right! I use one bag of Sumeru Large Prawns. If you can't get that, just double the chicken)

4-5 tomatoes, chopped

1 c. condensed beef or chicken broth

1 c. uncooked long grain rice

1 1/2 c. water

1 t. sugar

Seasoning Mix (see below)

1 t. chili powder

fresh parsley for garnish


Seasoning Mix: (1/4 tsp Cayenne, 3/4 tsp White Pepper, 1 tsp Kosher Salt, 1/4 tsp Thyme, 1/2 tsp Rubbed Sage, 1/4 tsp Dried Basil, 1/2 tsp Black Pepper)

If you don't have white pepper, just do 1 3/4 t. black pepper. Also, I usually do more Thyme, sage and basil.


In a dutch oven, sauté onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, and sausage in butter until tender and browned. Add next nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Sara Beth, I'm so aware of the trinity. Problem is we can pretty much never get celery in our country. So we do the best we can. And I would LOVE to try your dirty rice recipe, but there's no pork at all here, and the ground chicken... well, I never buy it. :) Too gristly and dry. Doesn't make a nice meal. I'll be sure to try it when I'm in the states next time though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...