Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cinnamon Toast Cake

This is the ultimate comfort food for breakfast. My mom used to make this on Saturday mornings and we'd munch on it while we watched cartoons. Think of something like monkey bread, without all the labor involved. I don't make it that often as it has a bit more sugar than I usually give my family in the mornings (I give it later in the day:) but when I put this on the table in the mornings, my boys have big smiles. Goes great with apple cinnamon oatmeal, or scrambled eggs and some fruit. And you probably have all the ingredients on hand:)

2 cups flour (I use 1 atta and 1 maida)
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk (you might have to add a little more depending on where you live...living in UP, my flour is always very dry)
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla.

Topping
1/2 c. melted butter (I think I usually only do 1/4 cup)
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
(You probably won't use all the topping, but just save it back for cinnamon toast or something like that)

Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, 2 Tbsp. butter and vanilla until batter is smooth. Grease and flour pan (I use a small jelly roll pan that fits in my little oven). Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Combine sugar and cinnamon. Brush cake with butter then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Place back in oven til bubbly. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I always love finding recipes that you guys grew up with, so I can spoil Ryan with your mom's great cooking :) I made her Ritz chicken bake last week, and Ryan was in heaven! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this yesterday... big hit! I love Cinnamon rolls, but don't want to go through the effort for it on most days. This is like a cinnamon roll in a pan and can quickly satisfy my craving! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...