Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Peppernuts!

This is a Jantz family tradition. My grandmother, Dorothy, used to make these every year. My mother made them as well, and now that I'm in charge of the Christmas baking, I'm making them too. I've never had them anywhere but at my house! :)

Peppernuts
1/2 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t. baking soda (dissolved in 1 1/2 t. hot water)
2 1/2-3 c. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. mace
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. anise extract
1/2 c. finely chopped nuts
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add soda and water. Stir in dry ingredients. Chill dough. (Can be kept up to two weeks) Roll into 3/8” snakes. Flour board as needed. Slice thinly and bake on a cookie sheet at 350˚ for about 8 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds interesting....funny I never had them at your house around Christmas! Guess you guys kept them all for yourselves. I do however, remember one year that we did Secret Santas and your mom had my name and she made me the Reeses recipe among other things and gave me a bag of goodies. You let the cat slip out of the bag when I came to your house one day and you offered me some of the candy because you said your mother had made it for her secret Santa gift!!!! Should have seen your mother’s face! Back to the cookies.....are they kind of like lace cookies....really thin and crisp? Do you think they would freeze well? I am looking for cookie recipes I can cook and freeze and take out when needed for things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this memory, Pam! I mean, I don't remember that at all, but I can imagine Mom's face. :) The peppernuts are really small, like bite size. They are really thing and are chewy when fresh from the oven, but do crisp up after cooling. I suppose they would be fine frozen. I'm sure you could freeze the dough at least, because I keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks during December and just roll out a few at a time as we need them. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...