Sunday, October 25, 2009

Andrea's Daal Crash Course

Daal (lentils) is a staple dish in South Asia. South Asians eat this nearly everyday, and depending on how it's cooked, it can be really delicious, or... not so much. :) There are so many more varieties of daal here than we have in the west, so here is a pictorial crash course on the different varieties and their names. But don't ask me how to use them or cook them. :) My house helper cooks our lunch, and I couldn't tell you how to make her delicious daals. One of these days I'll watch her and post a few recipes.

Such a huge thanks to AndreaS for sending these pictures of all the varieties of daal with their names in Hindi. I still have yet to master all these different varieties! :)






Split green moong daal









Whole green moong daal




















Tur daal












Left to right:
-Whole urad daal
-Split black urad with skin
-Split washed white urad daal













Whole Masoor daal















Channa daal (split chickepeas)











Starting at one o'clock and going clockwise:
- Split Masoor daal
-Tuvar daal
-Moong daal





Below is Split Masoor daal again...

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure they're all right but PLEASE feel free to correct me :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...