Sunday, October 25, 2009

Megan's Favorite Tomato Sauce

I have come to the conclusion that in South Asia, there are certain things that I used to make with beef that just don't need any meat at all. :) I'm not a fan of substituting ground chicken because I find it to be really dry, and honestly never buy it. Instead, I often substitute for ground beef beans, or whole black lentils, or just nothin' at all. Spaghetti sauce is one thing that we have learned to love without any kind of meat, but if you need protein, whole black lentils make a great substitute. Here's my favorite quick pasta sauce. It's great over any kind of pasta, with Parmesan Chicken, in baked spaghetti, in lasagna, or any other way you would use a jar of sauce.

Quick and Easy Pasta Sauce
1 t. olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. dried oregano
2 boxes tomato puree
1/2 t. dried Italian seasoning (I use either Daily Needs brand Pasta Seasoning or Garlic Bread seasoning)
1/4 t. black pepper
6 average sized tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c. water
2 T. chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and next 7 ingredients through water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low and cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley. Makes 3-4 servings

This is a tangy sauce. If you prefer a sweet sauce, substitute 1 T. sugar for the 1 1/2 t. salt, and switch out the oregano for basil. :)

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I haven't been able to make a sauce I like yet, I'm looking forward to trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...