Monday, September 20, 2010

Healthy Apple Cake

Rachel R says:


I love seeing all these apples that are being sold along the side of the road. I love apple pie, apple crisp, and all those other things, but I've been trying my hand at some healthier things using apples. Here's a recipe that my family has really liked. (I've also been adding grated apples and cinnamon to my pancake batter, and grated apples to oatmeal when I make it:)

Healthy Apple Cake
2 c. diced apples
1/2 c. raw sugar*

Sprinkle apples with sugar and set aside.

Combine
1 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In another bowl, combine
1 egg
1/2 c. applesauce (I make my own)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix wet ingredients into dry ones. Your batter will be dry, so mix it really good. Stir in your apple mixture.

Grease 9" round or square pan. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

*(I use something like turbinado sugar that I find at Spencer's...sorry, I don't remember the name of it. If you use regular sugar in this recipe, just reduce the amount b/c what I use isn't nearly as sweet as the regular stuff.)

Makes 8 servings, and each piece is just 110 calories:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...