Monday, September 20, 2010

How to Get Coconut Out of a Coconut

So maybe you're not like me and you already knew how to crack open a coconut and get the pure white deliciousness out of it. But this girl needed some help when I finally decided to tackle this project this weekend. I wanted to make a south indian curry and needed freshly pureed coconut.

I went to my fruit walla to get said coconut. I asked him if he would open it for me. He was happy to help, especially since I let him keep the coconut water. : ) He peeled the husk, cracked it to let the water spill into a bag, then cracked it open some more until it was in 3-4 large pieces, the white flesh showing. He wrapped it up for me to take home.

So now what? I could NOT get the white coconut meat out of that brown shell. So here's what you do, in case you ever want to try this. :)

1. Wrap the coconut in foil and bake it in the oven at about 175C for 20-25 minutes.

2. Let it cool slightly so you can touch
it. At this point, the white flesh should pop right out of the rough brown shell. If it doesn't, put it back in the oven for a little while. Don't worry, this does not cook the coconut.









3. After you've got it out of the shell, there will still be a brown skin on the back of the flesh.
Using a vegetable
peeler, peel that skin off.














4. Now you're left with the pure, perfect white coconut flesh.


















5. Grate it up, and use it however you'd like! I'm experimenting this week with making my own sweetened flaked coconut. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!!
    Let me know how your experimenting goes! I've been trying to figure that out for a while now :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...