Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Indian Lunch Ideas

I have a house helper who cooks lunch for us. I think this is an indispensable thing for me as I'm homeschooling, since there are no quick and easy lunches here besides PB&J and grilled cheese.  We want a little more variety than that. :)  

It has taken us some time, though, to figure out a good variety of Indian meals we all like that we can have for lunch.  Here's a list of some of our favorite meals to have our helper make for us! I usually do subji (veggies) and chapati (wheat flat bread) on M-W-F and Daal Chawal (lentils/beans and rice) on T-Th.  Just to change it up! :) 

Subji and Chapati:
-Bindi Masala: Sauteed okra with tomatoes and onions
-Aloo Shimla Mirch: Potatoes and green peppers sauteed with spices (We like it dry, no gravy)
-Aloo Gobi: Potatoes and cauliflower with onions and tomatoes
-Aloo Parantha: We like this just by itself.  Our helper made the best paranthas we've ever had. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it.
-Loki Masala: loki is a long pale gourd that looks kind of like a zucchini when it's cut, but cooks totally differently.  We like this with lots of onions, tomatoes, and dania powder.
-Kajar Mattar: carrots and peas sauteed in spices
-Bund Gobi Mattar: cabbage and peas

Daal/Chawal:
-Lobia Masala: black eyed peas in a tomato-y gravy
-Rajma Masala: kidney beans or pinto beans (or a mix) in a tomato gravy
-Channa Masala: chick peas (we like to eat this with Puris, deep fried wheat bread)
-Mixed Daal: pretty self explanatory.  

This is just off the top of my head. I'll come back and add to this if I think of anything else we really like.  I'll try to post the recipes for some of these things in the coming weeks as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...