Monday, January 31, 2011

Shredded Chicken Burritos

When we went to the capital a few weeks ago, I picked up some packages of pre-made tortillas, just for a quick and easy meal sometime.  It's always nice to have something like that around for manic days that get away from you. I was really craving a shredded chicken burrito, even though I've never made one before. It's one of my favorite things at restaurants. I looked for a recipe online, and not finding one that I thought sounded good, did my own thing.  Here's what ended up happening.  This will be a keeper for us! : )



Shredded Chicken Burritos

3 chicken breasts
3/4 c. uncooked rice
2 small onions, chopped
1/2 green pepper, choppped
1/2 yellow or red pepper, chopped
5 garlic cloves
3 T. butter
1/2 c. water
1/2 block (1 t.) chicken bullion
1 t. cumin
2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. oregano
6 10 inch flour tortillas
1/2 block Brittania cheddar, shredded
Toppings: cilantro, sour cream, salsa

Boil 1 1/2-2 c. water and cook the rice. 

In a skillet, melt 1 T. butter.  Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and saute, whole, in the skillet.  Once finished, remove to a plate. When cooled, shred the chicken using two forks to pull it apart.  

Add 1 T. butter to the same skillet.  Add onions, peppers, and garlic.  Saute until soft.  Add the cooked rice and stir to combine.  Add water, chicken buillion, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and oregano.  Stir to combine and cook until water is absorbed. Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine, coating chicken with seasonings.  Remove from heat.  

Spoon a heaping 1/2 c. into each tortilla.  Top with 2-3 T. cheese.  Fold both ends over, then roll the burrito up.  Place on a butter grill or skillet and grill until brown and golden on each side. (If you'd rather, you can bake them in the oven for a few minutes, or pop them into the microwave to get a more "taco bell" like feel to the tortilla. :)) Top with whatever you want!  

1 comment:

  1. Yum Megan! We had these this week and really enjoyed! I had my mom bring me some tortillas when she came for the new baby so that was great. I'll have to try to get readymade ones as I can...I'm not big on making them at home. :) Great burritos!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...